What is the GDPR?
The EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a new comprehensive data protection law that comes into effect on May 25, 2018. It replaces existing EU Data Protection law to strengthen the protection of “personal data” and the rights of the individual. It will be a single set of rules which govern the processing and monitoring of data of EU citizens and residents.
The definition of ‘Personal Data’ as covered by the GDPR is very broad, and goes beyond data which is normally considered personal such as names, addresses, birth dates etc, to include any data which can be attributed back to a user and any user generated content.
What is KidsOKOnline doing about the GDPR?
KidsOKOnline has always believed in the fundamental rights our users to have to their own data, and take very seriously the trust placed in us by our users to maintain the security, integrity and availability of their information. We welcome the principles around data privacy and security that are set out by the GDPR and have to demonstrating compliance.
This is a summary of what KidsOKOnline has done to ensure all our websites and software services, such as MySafeTXT are compliant with the GDPR: ,
- We conducted an assessment of our obligations under the GDPR and ran a project to ensure that we were compliant with the regulation ahead of 25 May 2018.
- We’ve updated our Privacy Notice be compliant with the GDPR.
- We’ve updated our internal Incident Response framework to be compliant with the GDPR.
- Performed a data mapping exercise to record how we process and store any personal data that we collect.
- We have reviewed the basis for our transfer of data outside the EEA and have in place appropriate protections, this is detailed in our Privacy Notice.
- Reviewed our agreements with the sub-processors used by MySafeTXT to ensure they are compliant with the GDPR as a data processor.
- Our representative in the European Union is KidsOKOnline Limited company number: 07262109, and can be contacted on matters related to the processing of data via firstname.lastname@example.org.